See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Anti-Terrorism Act of 2001
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would give the federal government a broad range of powers to combat terrorism.
- Allows federal authorities to imprison non-Americans suspected to be threats to national security for 7 days, whereas current law allows for 2 days.
- Eases restrictions on government wiretap and surveillance operations, and permits sharing of such information between some government officials.
- Enhances security along the United States/Canadian border.
- Expires many of the surveillance related provisions in the bill on December 31, 2004, but would allow the president to extend the provisions 2 years if needed.
- Denies US visas to suspected money-launderers.