See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Fiscal 2004 Defense Authorization-Passage
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that would approve a 3.2 percent real increase in funding for the Department of Defense and for the national security programs at the Department of Energy.
- Revokes a 10-year prohibition on exploration and expansion of low-yield nuclear weapons, develops research for nuclear 'bunker-busting' bombs and condenses the calendar for the Energy Department to prepare for new nuclear tests.
- Eliminates two F/A-22 Raptor aircrafts the 22 total requested by the Pentagon.
- Creates a 3.7 percent increase for all uniformed service personnel.
- Allocates $9.1 billion for ballistic missile defense study advancement and procurement.
- Provides $400 million more than the level of funding asked, for the advancing of homeland defense capabilities, including $88.4 million to fund 12 additional National Guard weapons of mass destruction civil support teams.