See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Abortion Pain Bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to suspend the rules and pass a bill that outlines several protocols that abortion providers must follow before performing an abortion on a fetus/unborn child that is 20 or more weeks into development.
More Info About this Vote
- Requires the physician to provide the woman with the following information or material (Sec. 3):
- The approximate age of the fetus;
- The "Unborn Child Pain Awareness Brochure";
- The possibility that drugs administered to the mother may not prevent pain for the fetus; and
- Risks and costs associated with the use of pain-reducing drugs.
- Requires the "Unborn Child Pain Awareness Brochure" to state that (Sec. 3):
- Evidence exists suggesting fetuses 20 weeks or more into development are capable of experiencing pain;
- The woman may request pain-reducing drugs for the fetus; and
- There may be additional risks associated with the use of some pain-reducing drugs.
- Allows the woman to waive receipt of the brochure by signing an "Unborn Child Pain Awareness Decision Form" (Sec. 3).
NOTE: THIS VOTE WAS TAKEN UNDER A SUSPENSION OF THE RULES TO CUT OFF DEBATE EARLY AND VOTE TO PASS THE BILL, THEREBY REQUIRING A TWO-THIRDS MAJORITY FOR PASSAGE.