See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) Amendment
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to adopt an amendment that requires the use of renewable fuel sources in place of fossil fuels.
- Places minimum annual percentages for the use of renewable resources, such as wind, solar, geothermal, and ocean energy, and natural gases (Sec. 271).
- Mandates a gradual increase in the percentages of renewable resource use from 2% in the year 2008 to 10% by the year 2030 (Sec. 271).
- Requires that the Secretary establishes a renewable energy trading program, as well as a State renewable energy account program (Sec. 271).
- Stipulates that civil penalties will be imposed on electric utility companies that do not meet the renewable resource requirements (Sec. 271).
- Expires on 12/31/2030 (Sec. 271).