See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Homeland Security Department Authorization Act FY06
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that appropriates $34.2 billion for the Department of Homeland Security, to restructure and consolidate Homeland Security programs, streamline federal, state and local activities and to develop an effectiveness reporting system.
- Appropriates $6.9 billion for Custom and Border Protection (Sec. 102).
- Appropriates funds for recruitment and training of 2,000 new border agents (Sec. 102).
- Appropriates $650 million for departmental management and operations (Sec. 103).
- Appropriates $465 million for critical infrastructure grants (Sec. 104).
- Appropriates $311 million for research and development (Sec. 105).
- Appropriates $1 billion for Border and Transportation Security (Sec. 106).
- Appropriates $2 billion for state and local terrorism preparedness (Sec. 107).
- Appropriates $160 million for immigration resources (Sec. 108).
- Appropriates $40 million for training of state and local personnel performing immigration functions (Sec. 109).
- Authorizes use of incentives to recruit top intelligence analysts (Sec. 221).
- Changes Advisory System to communicate specific threats more directly to local and regional agencies while making color system optional for conveying information concerning threat (Sec. 223).
- Forms the Technology Clearinghouse to help disseminate anti-terror technology to federal, state, local and private sector officials (Sec. 302).
- Calls for risk assessments of foreign ports to indicate the best use of resources (Sec. 305).
- Stipulates that reports be submitted to Congress and the President concerning progress in implementing new programs created in this bill (Sec. 401).
- Requires review of Customs Border Patrol and Immigration Customs Enforcement in order to develop a new plan to create a more efficient and coordinated system of border enforcement (Sec. 501).