See How Your Politicians Voted
Title: Campaign Finance Reform bill
Vote Smart's Synopsis:
Vote to pass a bill that implements reforms in the ways that politicians can raise money and regulates how unions, state political parties, and national political parties can distribute money to individual politicians.
- Bans soft money contributions to national political parties.
- Prohibits political parties from making coordinated contributions with a candidate unless the candidate agrees to limit personal spending to $50,000.
- Raises aggregate individual limit from $25,000 to $30,000 annually.
- Raises annual contribution limit for individual contributions to state committees of political parties from $5,000 to $10,000.
- Limits free mail service, or franking privilege for members of Congress during an election year.
- Prohibits political fundraising activity on federal property.
- Prohibits people who are ineligible to vote from making contributions in federal, state or local elections.
- Enhances disclosure requirements for groups conducting "issue advocacy" advertising or targeting a specific candidate.
- Stipulates that labor organizations must give non-members who pay dues an opportunity to object to specific political activities funded by dues collections.