Marsha Blackburn's Biography
Office: U.S. Senate (TN) - Jr, Republican
100 Peabody Place
Memphis, TN 38103
10 West Martin Luther King Boulevard, 6th Floor
Chattanooga, TN 37402
1105 East Jackson Boulevard
Jonesborough, TN 37659
91 Stonebridge Boulevard
Jackson, TN 38305
800 Market Street, Suite 121
Knoxville, TN 37902
Husband: Chuck; 2 Children: Mary, Chad
BS, Mississippi State University, 1973
Senator, United States Senate, 2019-present
Former Deputy Whip, United States House of Representatives
Representative, United States House of Representatives, District 7, 2002-2019
Candidate, United States Senate, 2018
Assistant Minority Whip, United States House of Representatives, 2002-2006
Senator, Tennessee State Senate, District 23, 1998-2002
Member, Armed Services
Member, Subcommittee on Cybersecurity
Member, Subcommittee on Security
Member, Subcommittee on The Constitution
Member, Veterans' Affairs
Founder/Chair, Congressional Songwriters Caucus, 2003-present
Founder, Congressional Songwriters Caucus
Former Member, Energy and Commerce Committee, United States House of Representatives
Co-Chair, House Task Force on Waste, Fraud and Abuse
Former Member, Oversight and Investigators Subcommittee, United States House of Representatives
Former Member, Subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade, United States House of Representatives
Former Chair, Subcommittee on Communications and Technology, United States House of Representatitves
Former Member, Subcommittee on Environment, United States House of Representatives
Former Member, Subcommittee on Health (Energy and Commerce), United States House of Representatives
Executive Director, Tennessee Film, Entertainment, and Music Commission, 1995-1997
Owner, Marketing Strategies, present
Director, Retail Fashion/Special Events, Caster Knott Company, 1975-1978
Sales Manager, Southwestern Company, 1973-1975
Student Manager, Southwestern Company, 1971-1973
Member, Christ Presbyterian, present
Member, Smithsonian Libraries Advisory Board, present
President, American Lung Association of Middle Tennessee
Member, Brentwood Chamber of Commerce
Member, Nashville Area Chamber of Commerce
President, Nashville Symphony Guild
Board Member, Nashville Zoo
Member, Rotary Club
State Chair, American Council of Young Political Leaders, 1994
American Conservative Union, Best and Brightest Award
- Congressman Blackburn is regularly praised by good government groups like the National Federation of Independent Businesses, National Taxpayers Union, the Farm Bureau, the Chamber of Commerce, the Small Business and Entrepreneurship Council and the American Conservative Union.
- She has been named a Taxpayer Hero by Americans for Tax Reform each year she has served in Congress.
- In 2006 the Independent Electrical Contractors recognized her as their Lawmaker of the Year.
- In 2007 Blackburn received the Conservative Leadership Award from the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute.
- In 2007, she was awarded the Congressional Grammy by the Recording Academy; the White Hat award from the Nashville Songwriters Association and in 2008 received the Platinum Award from the RIAA. The Cecil Scaife Foundation has awarded her the Visionary Award.
- In 2012, Health IT Now presented her with the HITN Innovation Award for her work in support of innovative solutions to our most pressing healthcare problems and she was recognized by the Association of Children's Hospitals and the American College of Radiology for her leadership on healthcare issues.
- Marsha has also been honored by the Family Research Council, received the Distinguished Leader Award from the Susan B. Anthony List for her pro-life, pro-family work, and the Iron Jawed Angel Award for Excellence in Public Service.
- In April 2013 at the "Women Run the World" Half Marathon in New York City, More Magazine recognized Blackburn for her service in government by honoring her as one of 10 women who are making a difference in the world.
- The Washington Post has named her one of the 40 Most Interesting Women in Politics and Newsmax has named her one of the 50 Most Influential Female Republicans.
- The Independent Women's Forum has named her the 2014 Woman of Valor.
- Marsha was named the 2016 "Woman of the Year" by the Clare Boothe Luce Policy Institute.
- Congressman Blackburn holds an honorary doctorate in letters from King University.
Small Business Bureau and Entrepreneurship Council, Small Business Champion
Family Research Council, True Blue Award
U.S. Chamber of Commerce, Spirit of Enterprise Award
Number of Grandchildren: