Richard Hanna's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Richard Hanna has refused to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2014 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2014.
- Richard Hanna. Utica Observer-Daily: 2008 24th Congressional District Candidate Questionnaire. Responded "I support Roe v. Wade and I do not think we need to make any changes in our approach to a woman's right to choose." to the question: "Do you support Roe v. Wade? Are there changes needed in the federal government's approach to abortion law?" (www.uticaod.com)
- Richard Hanna. HR 3. 112th Congress. Prohibiting Taxpayer Funding of Abortion. Richard Hanna voted Yea on 05/04/2011. (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. H Amdt 95. 112th Congress. Prohibiting Use of Federal Funds For Planned Parenthood. Richard Hanna voted Nay on 02/18/2011. (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. Why I Voted No on HR 358. 13 October 2012. "I always support the 'Hyde Amendment,' which prevents appropriated federal funds from being spent on abortion [¦] Throughout my adult life, I have been consistent supporter of women's rights and healthcare organizations Upstate that aid women, especially those most vulnerable in our community. While I personally oppose abortion and oppose it being funded by federal tax dollars, individuals should be free to make that very difficult and personal decision without undue government involvement." (hanna.house.gov)
- Richard Hanna. Issue Position: Neither Party Has it Right. "Neither party has it right. The Democrats want more spending with larger programs. The Republicans want to cut taxes, but have been unwilling to cut spending. Both paths only feed the disease that is killing us." (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. Why I Voted Yes on H.Con.Res. 112. 29 March 2012. "Instead of raising taxes for American families and businesses, this budget reforms our tax code to make it simpler, fairer, and more competitive globally. The budget closes special interest loopholes that pick winners and losers among corporations and lobbyists, while lowering rates for individuals and businesses to promote growth." (hanna.house.gov)
- Richard Hanna. Your News Now - Tax Cut Debate. 8 August 2012. "'Two hundred and fifty thousand was too low. That doesn't allow small businesses to keep their money in their pocket,' Hanna said. Despite hard lines taken by both sides in this tax cut debate, Hanna, on a tour in Oswego County, says there is still room for compromise. Some democrats are now willing to discuss extending cuts for those earning a million dollars or less, protecting more small businesses. The congressman says he could even back a number lower than a million. But, he says, something has to give. Hanna said, 'You know, pick a number. Somebody is going to have to pay more. If we don't compromise, if we don't seek out solutions that are somewhat unpalatable and yet palatable to both sides, we will fail.'" (votesmart.org)
- Mark Weiner. The Post-Standard: Renewing the Bush tax cuts: How Central New York's House members plan to vote. 29 July 2012. "U.S. Rep. Richard Hanna, R-Barneveld, said in an interview that he disagrees with many of his Republican colleagues on the issue, and believes that the tax cuts should be allowed to expire for the wealthiest Americans. But Hanna said if given the choice this week of extending the tax cuts for everyone or nobody, he will vote for the Republican bill. Hanna, a multimillionaire who is among the wealthiest members of Congress, said he disagrees with GOP leaders who argue that a tax hike on the wealthiest will hurt the economy. 'When you give a tax break to someone making more than $1 million per year, it's not like they're going to go out and spend it,' Hanna said. 'They're not going to buy any more planes, boats or cars.'" (www.syracuse.com)
- Richard Hanna. Hanna Co-Sponsors Legislation to Aid Small Business. 11 May 2011. "No additional federal spending is necessary for these programs, and there is strong bipartisan support for this legislation because all sides can agree that growing jobs and improving the economy is paramount." (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. Hanna Votes to Cap Non-Security Spending at 2008 Levels. 25 January 2011. "This Congress isn't just freezing spending, but actually cutting it [¦] The American people have made it clear that they want the federal deficit reduced and that means Washington needs to live within a budget. I fully support these spending cuts." (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. Hearing of the House Education & The Workforce Committee - "Reviving our Economy: The Role of Higher Education in Job Growth and Development". 22 March 2011. "This is an official hearing of the House Committee on Education and the Workforce. This is the committee in Congress through which reforms to the No Child Left Behind law are proposed and oversight of initiatives such as Race to the Top occurs. Although we are living in difficult economic times, I am of the opinion that we now have a unique opportunity to reinvent how we educate our people -- and do it more affordably and with more accountability." (votesmart.org)
- vote: (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. HR 910. 112th Congress. Energy Tax Prevention Act. Richard Hanna voted Yea on 04/07/2011. (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. NRA Victory Fund Endorses Hanna. 22 June 2012. "The Second Amendment is a fundamental American right that I am working to protect. Here in upstate New York, the responsible use of firearms means good manufacturing jobs, hunting and sporting opportunities and self-protection. I will continue to stand up for our law-abiding citizens, businesses, hunters and outdoors enthusiasts." (www.richardhannaforcongress.com)
- Richard Hanna. Why I voted Yes on H.R. 822. 12 October 2012. "I voted Yes on H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, of which I am a co-sponsor. This bill allows an individual with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry in any other state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes. Instead, the bill requires states to recognize each others' permits, in a similar manner to how they recognize drivers' licenses. Importantly, H.R. 822 does not change state laws regulating how concealed firearms are carried within any state. All state, federal, and local laws regarding carrying a concealed handgun that would apply to a resident of a state will also apply in equal force to a non-resident." (hanna.house.gov)
- Richard Hanna. HR 2. 112th Congress. Repealing the Health Care Bill. Richard Hanna voted Yea on 01/19/2011. (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
- Richard Hanna is a member of the LGBT Equality Caucus: 112th Congress. (lgbt.tammybaldwin.house.gov)
- Richard Hanna. Hanna Statement on Death of Osama Bin Laden. 2 May 2011. "No matter how long it takes, America has proven that it will pursue justice at all costs. The war against al Qaeda will go on. This is a great moment for our country, but it is also powerful warning to those who intend to carry on the fight against freedom. We will find you because liberty and justice always prevails." (votesmart.org)
- Richard Hanna. Issue Position: Social Security. 1 November 2011. "Privatization is not, and will never be, an option." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.