Raja Krishnamoorthi's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Office: U.S. House (IL) - District 8, Democratic
On The Ballot: Running, Democratic for U.S. House (IL) - District 8
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Candidates who qualify for the General Election will be invited to take the 2020 Political Courage Test.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2020.
- "Raja is a longtime, consistent supporter of a woman's right to choose. As the husband of a physician, Raja believes that women have the right to make their own healthcare decisions in consultation with their doctors and without the interference of politicians." (votesmart.org)
- "By eliminating the guarantee that women will have coverage for birth control through their insurance, regardless of who they work for, the Trump administration is doing nothing less than turning back the clock on women's health care. No woman should need her boss's permission to receive medical care." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by Alliance for Retired Americans. (votesmart.org)
- "First, Raja supports raising the cap on income subject to Social Security withholding, which is currently set at $118,500 per year. Raising the cap could greatly extend the solvency of the Social Security trust fund while ensuring that everyone pays their fair share." (votesmart.org)
- "The Supreme Court's wrong-headed decision in the Citizen's United case has opened the floodgates of our political system to vast sums of unregulated money In Congress, I will strongly support a constitutional amendment to overturn this shamelessly misguided decision." (rajaforcongress.com)
- "Raja is working to eliminate so-called 'dark money' from our elections by requiring all organizations to disclose their contributions -- including those that currently hide their activities by claiming they are for 'social' or 'educational' purposes. This huge loophole is enabling wealthy individuals and interest groups to hijack our elections without revealing their true identities or purpose. We must return transparency to our elections, so voters can know who is behind the ads and other spending designed to influence their votes." (votesmart.org)
- "Raja knows this, and as president of a company that researches and develops infrared night vision technology to keep our troops safe, Raja will fight to ensure our military has the resources it needs to carry out its mission anywhere in the world." (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "Preserving the agreement in the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 that required increased spending to be spread evenly between defense spending and non-defense discretionary accounts which have both been harmed by the ongoing sequester" (votesmart.org)
- "By ensuring these priorities are met, not only will our country's infrastructure improve, but so will the lives of Americans around the country. Our modern economy was built on strong infrastructure and we believe that's the key to our future. Ahead of Speaker Pelosi's meeting with the president, we believe, on behalf of our constituents, it is critical to advocate for infrastructure policy that strengthens America for generations to come. In doing so, we'll create a roadmap for a brighter tomorrow." (votesmart.org)
- "Our nation is falling behind in maintaining and modernizing our transportation network, which hurts our economy and our ability to compete in the world. This is why Raja seeks to create a federal infrastructure bank. Such a bank could provide low-interest loans to states and cities to help finance crucial projects like roads and transit systems. It's a way to take the politics out of critical road and transit policy, enabling us to start building the future our children deserve." (votesmart.org)
- "By repealing the carried-interest tax break for wealthy Wall Street financiers, and redirecting those funds to entrepreneurs starting new small businesses across the country, we can create thousands of new jobs and strengthen our economy for the long-term." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by National Education Association. (votesmart.org)
- "As the former president of an Illinois company that researches and develops solar energy technology, Raja understands both the science and economics of climate change, and he knows that the time for America's clean energy future is now. A cleaner environment and a stronger economy are not competing goals, as many in Congress seem to believe. Instead, nations that lead the way in developing clean energy technology today will gain a competitive advantage in creating the high-paying jobs of tomorrow." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 0% by American Energy Alliance. (votesmart.org)
- "Abandoning the commitments we made in the Paris Climate Agreement is a massive self-inflicted wound to our environment, our global influence, and our economy. The damage caused by this decision is undeniable" (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 9 - Climate Action Now Act. (votesmart.org)
- Rated 97% by League of Conservation Voters. (votesmart.org)
- "Raja supports common-sense gun laws to keep guns out of the wrong hands and reduce the epidemic of mass shootings that are occurring throughout the United States. Among the measures he supports are closing the 'gun-show loophole' by extending background checks for gun purchases to gun shows; reinstating the expired federal ban on assault weapons; and improving the reporting system to help keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, convicted felons, and those with severe mental illnesses. Raja also supports allowing the government to fund research on gun deaths and gun safety, something that is presently forbidden." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1112 - Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2019. (votesmart.org)
- "As the Senate moves to confirm President Trump's new HHS nominee, I urge HELP Committee Senators to seek assurances that he or she will fully and faithfully execute all laws and not seek to undermine the protections of the Affordable Care Act. Over 9 million Americans -- including over 300,000 in Illinois -- depend on the smooth and regular functioning of HealthCare.Gov." (votesmart.org)
- "The Graham-Cassidy bill would allow States to end critical consumer protections established in law by the Affordable Care Act. Regardless of whether you receive insurance through your employer or the individual market, this bill, the Graham-Cassidy bill, endangers access to quality, affordable health coverage for every American." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 1% by NumbersUSA. (votesmart.org)
- "Instead of having Mexico pay for the border wall as the President has promised since 2015, he is asking for as much as $5 billion from taxpayers for a wall that will not accomplish its stated goal and which most Americans do not want. The President stubbornly keeps pushing for a wall to protect himself from the far right's criticism. America needs enhanced border security using smart technology and border agents treated with respect by not being forced to work without pay during the Christmas holidays." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 1% by NumbersUSA. (votesmart.org)
- "Passing the Dream Act will show our country's DREAMers that we stand with them and that we believe in their promise." (votesmart.org)
- "Raja is working in Congress for comprehensive immigration reform that protects our homeland, secures our borders, and offers a path to citizenship for undocumented workers who have staked roots in this country, lived peacefully without incident, and have agreed to pay penalties and fines, pay their taxes, learn English, and go to the back of the line." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 6 - American Dream and Promise Act of 2019. (votesmart.org)
- Signed a letter stating: "We remain hopeful that with strong U.S. leadership, we can ensure vigorous enforcement of the JCPOA, as well as implementation of non-nuclear and multilateral sanctions, including CAATSA, to keep the american people secure and safeguard American interests." (votesmart.org)
- "That being said, at this point we should work with our allies and others in the region who want to see Iran basically abandon a nuclear weapon and we have to get away from that children's game of operator where we talk to Iran through intermediaries and thereby send potentially confusing signals to them and potentially signals that could lead to miscalculation by them or us." (votesmart.org)
- Despite exhaustive research, Vote Smart was unable to find information about this candidate's position.
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.