Bill Huizenga's Issue Positions (Political Courage Test)
Office: U.S. House (MI) - District 2, Republican
On The Ballot: Running, Republican for U.S. House (MI) - District 2
Official Position: Candidate addressed this issue directly by taking the Political Courage Test.
Inferred Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, but Vote Smart inferred this issue based on the candidate's public record, including statements, voting record, and special interest group endorsements.
Unknown Position: Candidate refused to address this issue, or we could not infer an answer for this candidate despite exhaustive research of their public record.
Additional Information: Click on this icon to reveal more information about this candidate's position, from their answers or Vote Smart's research.
Other or Expanded Principles & Legislative Priorities are entered exactly as candidates submit them. Vote Smart does not edit for misspelled words, punctuation or grammar.
Bill Huizenga has failed to provide voters with positions on key issues covered by the 2020 Political Courage Test, despite repeated requests from Vote Smart and voters like you.
For Presidential and Congressional candidates who refuse to provide voters with their positions, Vote Smart has researched their public records to determine their likely responses. These issue positions are from 2020.
- "I strongly believe in the sanctity of life and that unborn children at any stage of development are granted the right to life." (votesmart.org)
- "The sanctity of life is close to my heart and dear to my family. Protecting life beginning with conception is a value that cannot be compromised and something that I will continue to fight for.Ã I stressed this for 10 years as the Right to Life representative for my church in Zeeland and continue to fight for the unborn as a member of Congress." (huizengaforcongress.com)
- Rated 0% by Alliance for Retired Americans. (votesmart.org)
- "In order to prevent crippling deficits and debt over the long-term, federal entitlement programs must be reformed in a way that protects current beneficiaries and allows current workers to enjoy a safe and stable retirement. We must restore fiscal sanity." (votesmart.org)
- "Social Security is not sustainable without significant reform. Future benefits cannot be paid under current taxation levels. Raising taxes to pay for an unsustainable system will only make the problem worse. There are a limited number of options for addressing this actuarial time bomb. We can increase the retirement age, raise tax rates, or increase the cap on earnings subject to taxes. The sooner that adjustments are made, the smaller the adjustments need to be. Keep in mind that younger workers already don't believe Social Security will provide for them." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 0% by Common Cause. (votesmart.org)
- "The JUSTICE Act takes proactive measures to enhance training, strengthen accountability, and increase transparency," said Congressman Bill Huizenga. "The vast majority of law enforcement officials serve their community with dignity, respect, and professionalism. The JUSTICE Act provides substantive reforms that will help rebuild trust between our communities and police." (votesmart.org)
- "Clearly, zero mistakes can be made and our military must have the tools they need to protect our citizens and our interests around the globe." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by Center for Security Policy. (votesmart.org)
- "While this legislation is far from perfect, it does include several provisions that are important to national security as well as West Michigan. This bill makes our nation safer by increasing defense spending to support our troops and closing loopholes to prevent terrorists from exploiting our outdated visa system and entering the United States." (votesmart.org)
- "Having properly dredged ports & harbors is vital to economic growth and job creation in Muskegon, Holland, Grand Haven, and Ludington as well as dozens of lakeshore communities here in Michigan and hundreds more across the nation. I look forward to continuing to lead this bipartisan effort to hold Washington accountable and significantly increase our ability to export more "Made in Michigan" and "Made in America" products." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 22 - Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act. (votesmart.org)
- "By reforming our nation's outdated tax code small businesses can create more jobs, employees can receive bigger paychecks, and we can reduce our debt and deficits faster. Lastly, this budget seeks to reduce waste by eliminating $700 billion in improper payments made by the federal government with instructions for Congress to identify an additional $203 billion in mandatory savings and reforms." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1 - Tax Cuts and Jobs Act. (votesmart.org)
- "The CARES Act will deliver critical relief to #WestMichigan residents, small businesses, and our medical professionals. Today this bipartisan measure passed the House and now heads to @realDonaldTrump âs desk. Prior to House passage, I spoke in support of this important measure." (twitter.com)
- "The CARES Act will deliver critical relief to west Michigan residents, small businesses, and our medical professionals. This package will help tens of thousands of constituents in my district stay employed. While I don't agree with every proposal included in this bill, the vast majority of it will work directly to provide relief to the people who need it most. Communities across the Nation expect this body to act today." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 0% by National Education Association. (votesmart.org)
- "I support an approach to education that re-establishes local control. Our teachers, school administrators, parents and neighbors are the best qualified to make decisions regarding the education of our children. They know the names of our children and what they need to succeed, not bureaucrats in Washington who try a one-size fits all approach." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 5 - Student Success Act. (votesmart.org)
- "A comprehensive energy package that increases energy independence and job creation encourages the development of alternative and renewable energy sourcesand promotes greater efficiencies and conservation for a cleaner environment. This approach would ensure that we are providing energy solutions without placing America at a competitive disadvantage with the rest of the world." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 1119 - SENSE Act. (votesmart.org)
- "Americans want Washington to get out of the way so we can produce more American energy," (votesmart.org)
- "As a longtime gun-owner, I support the right of all law-abiding citizens to exercise their constitutional right to own firearms and use firearms for lawful purposes. I am an active member of various hunting clubs, endorsed by the NRA, and have been trained to use firearms safely. I will always defend the constitutional right of law-abiding Americans 'to keep and bear Arms.'" (huizengaforcongress.com)
- "I will fight to replace Obamacare with better solutions that puts patients, families, and doctors in charge of care instead of Washington, D.C. I believe that every American can have access to quality, affordable care by making health insurance portable from job to job so that we no longer have to rely on our employer for insurance." (huizengaforcongress.com)
- "West Michigan deserves better than ObamaCare and I am increasingly concerned with the nature of this Court to constantly jump through hoops to protect this flawed law. Moving forward I will continue to support legislative efforts to promote patient-centered solutions that expand access increase choiceand lower costs." (votesmart.org)
- Voted in favor of HR 6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act. (votesmart.org)
- Rated 84% by NumbersUSA. (votesmart.org)
- "The only way to achieve concrete and lasting immigration reform is for Congress to formulate and pass bipartisan legislation. It is my hope that both Republicans and Democrats will rise to the challenge and focus on crafting solutions that move us forward instead of engaging in rhetoric that is geared toward dividing our nation. No matter how well-intentioned, by choosing to act unilaterally President Obama exceeded his constitutional authority when he created and implemented DACA. The Constitution is clear; the power to make law resides with Congress, not the President." (votesmart.org)
- "In order to defeat terrorism, we must employ a strategy that utilizes our economic strength, embraces skilled diplomacy, and provides our men and women in uniform with the resources and flexibility necessary to complete their mission." (votesmart.org)
- Rated 100% by Center for Security Policy. (votesmart.org)
- Rated 0% by Public Citizen. (votesmart.org)
- "As Co-Chair of the US-Canada IPG and Great Lakes Task Force, I am encouraged to see a modernized trade agreement reached between the U.S., Mexico, and Canada. We are stronger trade partners when we work together and I look forward to reviewing this new agreement." (votesmart.org)
- "I believe President Trump is sincere in his desire to push for better fair trade deals that strengthen our economy and create good-paying American jobs. I support that effort. The Administration made the right decision to grant exemptions for our vital North American trading partners. Policies of this nature should be designed to strictly focus on nations that flout fair trade practices, such as China, and other bad actors." (votesmart.org)
- "Trade agreements are crafted in order to overcome obstacles to selling more American-made products and services overseas. In order for West Michigan to play a larger role in the global economy, we must establish strong and enforceable rules for our trading partners on important issues like currency manipulation, so American workers are competing on a level playing field. Removing trade barriers will create more opportunity for hardworking Americans and create good-paying jobs here in West Michigan." (votesmart.org)
Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.