Vote Smart provides easy access to Congressional and state voting records and maintains a collection of key votes grouped by issue. Vote Smart uses the following criteria to select key votes:
- The vote should be helpful in portraying how a member stands on a particular issue
- The vote should be clear for any person to understand
- The vote has received media attention
- The vote was passed or defeated by a very close margin
- Occasionally, if a specific bill is consistently inquired about on the Voter's Research Hotline, the vote will be added
Vote Smart provides a summary of the version of the bill text associated with each selected key vote. The summary does not necessarily reflect the content of the final version of the bill.
Summaries are written by Vote Smart's staff and interns, who adhere to the organization's strict policies and procedures in order to guarantee absolute impartiality and accuracy. Each key vote selection is reviewed by Vote Smart's community of advisors, who are political scientists and journalists from all fifty states.